Primaria Cluj-Napoca (Cluj-Napoca City Council), has introduced new measures, surrounding the use of electric scooters around the city.
These new local rules, are the first of their kind int he country, and are designed to ensure the safety of the community. Rules have been set up for both users as well as service providers and were approved on November 4th, 2020.
The rules are as follows:
- Scooters are not permitted for use on the sidewalk
- Can only be used on the following:
- Bicycle Lanes
- Dedicated Public Transport lanes (Bus Lanes)
- On roads where the speed limit is less than 50 km/h
- The minimum age for a rider is 14 years, and those aged 14-16 are required to wear helmets
- You cannot park a scooter in the following areas:
- Sidewalks less than 2m wide
- within 25m of public transport stations
- Against buildings or fences
- Taxi stand areas
- Within 25m of pedestrian crossings
- In parking places dedicated for cars
- At public green spaces
- Within 10m of intersections
- On lowered curbs (for car / pedestrian access)
- On construction sites within the public domain
- On ventilation openings or manholes
For Service Operators
Service operators are to ensure that measures are taken to ensure that the service users are able to use their services in-line with the regulations put into place. If an electric scooter is deposited in a location which is not permitted as in the list above, then the operator must come to collect the scooter within 2 hours, or otherwise, the scooter will be collected, with fees by the Cluj-Napoca city hall.